Santa Maria NovellaThe Basilica of Santa Maria Novella emerges in its namesake Piazza, just a stone's throw from the train station.
The marble facade of Santa Maria Novella is amongst one of the most important artworks of the Florentine Renaissance.
Between 1458 and 1478 it was partly coated in multi-coloured marble, whilst the lower part was left almost intact in its medieval form, with the sole addition of the classical portal, inspired by that of the Pantheon, framed by a column-pillar theme which is also found (in a different form), at the far end of the sides.
At the bottom of the main nave at a height of 45 metres, the Giotto Crucifix has been relocated (which can be dated back to 1290), in a similar position to where it was located until 1421.
The Maggiore or Tornabuoni Chapel is found at the centre of the Church and the central Crucifix is the work of Giambologna.
Also extremely important is the cycle of frescoes by Domenico Ghirlandaio and the Brunelleschi Crucifix.